Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
- 1 cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 2 cloves garlic, minced and divided
- 2 cups Odyssey Greek Yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups Kalamata olives, drained
- 1 tsp capers, rinsed
- 1 tsp flat-leaf (Italian) parsley leaves, rinsed and well dried
- 1 anchovy, fillet
- 10 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large eggplant
- 4 pieces flatbread
- 1 cup Odyssey Feta Cheese, crumbled
- 12 heirloom or beefsteak tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- Make Tzatziki Sauce: Grate cucumber on large holes of box grater; place in bowl. Add 1 clove minced garlic, Greek yogurt, honey, cayenne, and a pinch of salt. Mix well and refrigerate until serving time.
- Make olive tapenade: Process olives, capers, parsley, remaining clove minced garlic, and anchovy fillet in food processor bowl with 4 tablespoons olive oil; process until smooth. Refrigerate until needed.
- Slice eggplant(s) into 1/4- to 1/2-inch slices. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Heat outdoor grill or stovetop griddle and grill eggplant slices for about 2 minutes a side. Set aside. Keep grill or griddle hot.
- Cut flatbread pieces in half and place about 1 tablespoon of olive tapenade on each of 4 halves. Top with 1 ounce Feta, some tomato slices, onion slices, eggplant slices, another ounce of Feta, and flatbread half. Drizzle sandwich tops with a little olive oil and place, oil-side down, on hot grill. Grill about 3 minutes, then drizzle with a little more olive oil and flip. Grill until flatbread browns and cheese is heated through. Serve with tzatziki sauce on the side.
Recipe and picture copyright Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin.