We make 120,000 lbs of cheese each day! Additionally, Wisconsin makes 26% of the country’s cheese with over 2 billion lbs each year!
Almost 95% of all milk produced in Wisconsin is made into cheese!
To ensure your cheese keeps its quality and flavor, proper storage is important. Here are some storage tips:
* Keep your cheese covered after every use.
* Store cheese away from aromatic foods.
* Refrigerate cheese below 40°F
Add one tablespoon of salt into a cup of cool water and stir.
Although we do not recommend it, you can freeze your cheese. Freezing your cheese can greatly affect the texture, making it more crumbly or separate easily. Here are some tips on freezing if you choose to:
* Wrap in small pieces tightly
* Date and label your cheese before storing it.
* Aim for a temperature at about 0*F
* Once taken out of the freezer store in a refrigerator and use within a couple of days
There are over 1,800 different types of cheese in the world! We make 15 different varieties of cheese at our plant, The Klondike Cheese Company.
That depends on how much mold is on it. If there is not a lot then you can simply cut it off and it will be as good as new. But if there is a substantial amount we would recommend throwing it away.
The Most popular type of cheese in America is mozzarella due to its use on pizza, but cheddar is a close second. Try using Odyssey feta on your next pizza!