Yields: 6 servings
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 14 minutes
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup spinach
- 8 slices bacon, cooked until crispy
- 2 green creole tomatoes
- 4 slices Buholzer Brothers Havarti Cheese
Fried Green Tomatoes:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 egg
- 1-2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 Odyssey Plain 2% Greek Yogurt
- 2 large chipotle peppers in adobo
- Make the chipotle sauce by placing Greek yogurt and chipotle peppers in a food processor and puree until well combined. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
- Rinse and dry tomatoes. Cut them into quarter-inch slices. Prepare your bowls for the breading process:
1) In the first bowl, mix the flour and Italian seasoning together.
2) For the second bowl, whisk together the egg and milk.
3) In the third bowl, place 1 cup of breadcrumbs, keeping the other cup to the side in case you need it.
- 3. Bread your tomatoes. One by one, place slices in the flour mixture and make sure both sides are coated. Shake off excess and transfer to the egg mixture. Using a fork, dunk the whole slice under the liquid. Allow any access to drip off before transferring to the breadcrumbs. Make sure the tomato is coated completely and set aside on a plate while you repeat with the remaining tomatoes. Do not overlap the breaded tomato slices
- 4. Add 1/4 cup of oil to a cast iron skillet. Place over medium heat. Cook the tomatoes in small batches for about 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- 5. Build the sandwich! Toast your bread if desired and slather both pieces with the chipotle sauce. Layer 1/4 of a sliced avocado on each sandwich, along with spinach, bacon, Havarti cheese and two fried green tomato slices.