Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yields: 4 servings
Difficulty Level: Intermediate
- 2 cups (12 oz.) Odyssey ® Feta Cheese, crumbed
- 1/2 cup Butter, melted
- 4 tbsp Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- 1 pinch of Nutmeg
- 2 tbsp Fresh Chives, chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh Dill, chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh Mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 4 tbsp Toasted Pine Nuts
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 8 oz. Phyllo Dough (about 20 sheets, 14″x9″)
- 1/4 lb. (1 stick) Butter, melted
- For the filling, combine the cheeses, egg, nutmeg, chives, dill, mint, parsley, pine nuts, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and mash with a fork.
- For the pastry, with scissors, cut a stack of phyllo sheets into 3 x 14-inch strips. Place the strips on top of one another and cover with a slightly dampened towel.
Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place one strip of phyllo on the work surface. Brush lightly with the butter. Place another strip on top and brush lightly with the butter (keep remaining strips covered).
- Place a heaping teaspoon of the filling at one end, about 1 inch from the edge. Fold one corner over the filling to meet the opposite corner, forming a triangle. Lift the triangle and continue to fold as you would a flag, until the whole strip is folded into a small, triangular parcel (make sure there are no holes in the dough).
- Brush the top of the parcel with butter; place it on a buttered baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining filling and phyllo.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown and crisp. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
TIP: The unbaked borek can be prepared 2 weeks in advance and stored in the freezer until you are ready to use them. Defrost before baking.
Compliments of the WMMB.